Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Splurge v Savings

Sometimes savings aren't in the places that you might expect. Don't count out stores that seem more designer oriented.

I'm a designer and this surprised even me. 

The backstory

My lovely sister suggested I feature some furniture that is a less expensive version of pricey Restoration Hardware dining furniture.

She was shopping at Thomasville, and maybe their stuff was less expensive. But, I found a set comparable to a style that's available at Restoration Hardware at Raymour and Flanigan (assuming it'd be less expensive).  What I found shocked me. 


Top: Raymour and Flanigan, Monterey Dining Chair
Bottom: Restoration Hardware, Nailhead Upholstered Chair

The sticker shock:


Monterey Chair: $420
Nailhead Upholstered Chair: $399-479 depending on your fabric choice.


Suprised? I was. 


Moral of the story:

Do some research before you go buying furniture willy nilly. You might be able to get something a little nicer for the same price. You might be limiting yourself to certain stores for the wrong reasons, I know I was!

Sources: Raymour & Flanigan Chair from http://www.raymourflanigan.com/monterey-dining-chair-712032109.aspx
Restoration Hardware Chair from http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1633005&categoryId=cat1677014 

No comments:

Post a Comment